Common Cold is a most common infectious disease of the upper parts of respiratory system caused due to cold weathers or changed climatic conditions. Cold is highly contagious viral infection causing the damage of nose and throat membranes, stimulating the formation of antibodies in the body. Cold symptoms appear usually within 18-48 hours after infection which include running nose, headache, joint pains, sore throat, fever etc. The symptoms would typically resolve after a week, though they may go on to 14 days.
Causes for Common Cold:
The common cold is caused by viruses that are spread from one person to another whilst congregating together in houses during the cold season. The infection is caused by different types of viruses, making it difficult to diagnose and treat. These viruses include rhinoviruses, corona viruses, Para influenza, influenza A and B viruses at low temperatures. The infection spreads through tiny droplets in air, mainly through nasal cavity and eyes when an infected person coughs or sneeze.
How to Prevent Common Cold:
One of the easiest and most effective preventive measures to evade common cold and other infectious diseases is Good Hygiene. Here are few habits to follow.
- Remember to wash your hands often with soap
- Always cover your mouth and nose with cloth/tissue while coughing or sneezing
- Avoid going to crowdy places and handshakes
- Stop bad habits like biting nails, nose picking or touching our eyes
- Stay away from certain foods like refined sugars, allergic foods, alcoholic and junks
Cure for Common Cold:
There is no cure for the viral infections. Cold remedies are designed to relieve symptoms and reduce duration of cold. Some people take time to recover and some may get recovered in a short time without treatment. If you are struck with flu viruses the first thing to do is to take rest. During sleep humans can develop more antibodies which will help in increasing their immune system.
Take good amount of multivitamins, which include vitamin C, E and Zinc. Studies shown that during cold, the amount of Vitamin C gets depleted in the blood, as a result the body immune system become week. On the other hand, herbs and natural species employed in home remedies can holistically give instant relief.
- Dilute lime juice with honey to drink is the top application in cases of common cold
- Normal intake of Gooseberry helps to boost body immunity against attack of common cold and cough.
- Peppermint tea may also benefit from sore throat and nasal blockages during the common cold.
- Ginger is a superb Home remedy for Common Cold and to treat coughs that accompany common colds.
- The roots of the bitter gourd plant are used in folk medicine to treat a cold.
- Identical amount of tulsi leaf juice and honey, acts as an excellent medicine
- Hot milk with Turmeric powder is another effective Home Remedy for Common Cold.
- In a cup of milk boil 1 tbsp of pepper powder is good remedy for cold and related infections
- Garlic soup is an old Home Remedy for Common Cold to reduce the severity of a cold and should be taken once daily.
- Lemon can be used successfully to treat common cold, as it raises the body resistance
- A tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) crushed and coupled in a muslin cloth and can be inhaled whenever nose is blocked.
- 3-4 tsp onion juice with 3-4 tsp honey taken daily evades cold.
All these remedies give you comforting from infection. If the irritation prolongs do visit doctor for further diagnosis